Tag: BCCI

14th IPL postponed amid spreading Corona among players

Virat Kohli Captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore plays a shot
Photo- ANI

By Baidurjo Bhose

New Delhi (India), May 4 (ANI): The 14th edition of the Indian Premier League has been postponed as the country battles the second COVID-19 wave.

BCCI Secretary Jay Shah has made it clear that the safety of each and every person involved with the league was the priority.

Speaking to ANI, Shah said that keeping an eye on the current COVID-19 situation, the BCCI and IPL Governing Council decided to postpone the league.

“The BCCI and the IPL GC have unanimously decided to postpone the 2021 season till further notice. We don’t wish to compromise the safety of the players, the people involved, the employees, the groundsmen, the match officials, every single person involved,” he said.

SunRisers Hyderabad wicket-keeper Wriddhiman Saha tested positive on Tuesday morning after there were COVID-19 cases in two franchises on Monday. While two of the members of the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) contingent tested positive, two Kolkata Knight Riders players tested positive — Varun Chakaravarthy and Sandeep Warrier — forcing the BCCI to postpone the KKR-RCB game in Ahmedabad.

With Saha testing positive, the game on Tuesday evening between SRH and defending champions Mumbai Indians also needed to be postponed. This made matters worse as the game between RCB and KKR had already been postponed and the game between CSK and Rajasthan Royals was also set to be called off as the Chennai unit was in strict quarantine.

The BCCI had issued a release on the twin cases in KKR and said: “Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier were found to be positive in the third round of testing in the last four days. All other team members have tested negative for COVID-19.”

Indian cricket team members “‘subjected to racial abuse’: Cricket Australia

Ds1-dRuVsAA-Xpf

By Neeraj Nanda

MELBOURNE, 27 January 2021: Cricket Australia has in its report submitted to the ICC found members of the Indian team at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) were subjected to racial abuse during the third Test against India. The news came in Cricket Australia statement emailed to South Asia Times (SAT) today.

Sean Carroll, CA’s Head of Integrity & Security, has provided an update on the investigation into crowd behavior during the Sydney test:

“CA confirms that members of the Indian cricket team were subjected to racial abuse. CA’s own investigation into the matter remains open, with CCTV footage, ticketing data and interviews with spectators still being analysed in an attempt to locate those responsible. Spectators who are found to have breached CA’s Anti-Harassment Code face lengthy bans, further sanctions and referral to NSW Police.

“CA’s investigation concluded that the spectators filmed and/or photographed by media in the Brewongle Stand concourse at the conclusion of the 86th over on day three of the Test did not engage in racist behaviour.

“As stated at the time of the incident, CA has a zero tolerance policy towards discriminatory behaviour in all forms and, as hosts of the Border-Gavaskar series, apologises to the Indian men’s cricket team.

“CA is awaiting confirmation from NSW Police that it has completed its investigation into the matter and will not offer further comment until it is received.”

ICC Test Team Rankings: Historic win at The Gabba takes India to second place

India's Mohammad Siraj and Rishabh Pant celebrate with teammates after winning the 4th Test Match
India’s Mohammad Siraj and Rishabh Pant celebrate with teammates after winning the 4th Test Match with Australia at The Gabba on Tuesday. (BCCI Twitter/ANI Photo)

Brisbane [Australia], January 19 (ANI): India’s memorable win at The Gabba not only saw the team script history but also ensured they toppled Australia in the ICC Test Team Rankings to claim the second spot.
New Zealand sits atop the table with 118.44 points while India now has 117.65 points, overtaking Australia on 113 points. “India displace Australia to become the new No.2 in the @MRFWorldwide ICC Test Team Rankings,” ICC tweeted.
It took 32 years and two months, but the unthinkable was achieved on Tuesday as an injury-ravaged young Indian team defeated Australia by three wickets against all odds in the final Test to take the series 2-1.
Rishabh ‘nerves of steel’ Pant will be forgiven for all the mistakes he made through the series with wicket-keeping gloves in hand as each of the 89 runs that he scored in the final hour on Tuesday was worth its weight in gold. It was only poetic justice that he hit a boundary to win India a thriller.
The last time a visiting team came out triumphant from the Brisbane Cricket Ground was back in November 1988 when the mighty West Indian outfit under the leadership of Viv Richards thrashed Allan Border’s team by 9 wickets. What makes the feat even more commendable is how the Indians fought multiple injuries and mental fatigue – due to the bio-bubble restrictions — to register a historic win.
Having already lost Ravindra Jadeja and Hanuma Vihari going into the final Test, Jasprit Bumrah and R Ashwin too couldn’t get match-fit and that saw India field a bowling attack that was led by a two-Test old Mohammed Siraj. But the lion-hearted pacer rose through the ashes like a phoenix to show he belongs at the highest level.
Coming back to the final day’s action, needing 69 to win going into the last hour, any other team might have thought of ensuring a draw first. But not this Indian team which is filled with youngsters who believe in backing themselves till the fat lady sings. With swashbuckling Rishabh Pant at the crease, Australia skipper Tim Paine had no option but to keep the field open with men at the boundary. The wicket-keeper did take a few chances, but luck was smiling bright and sunny on him and he made hay.
And when Washington Sundar hit Pat Cummins for a six and a four off the last two balls of the 93rd over, it was down to 39 needed off the last seven balls. From there on, it was a game tailor-made for T20 star Pant. He went for twin boundaries in the very next over off Nathan Lyon and from there on, it was about just not committing hara-kiri.

Outrage over SCG spectators ‘racial slur’ against Mohammed Siraj ; ICC, CA, BCCI condemn incident

India's Wriddhiman Saha dives to take a catch on the fourth day of the Third Test Match at Sydney Cricket Ground
Day 4 match in progress at the SCG. Photo-ANI, 10 January 2021.

By Neeraj Nanda

MELBOURNE, 11 December 2021: Cricket lovers are outraged over a racial incident at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) on the 4th day of the India-Australia Test match when alleged incidents of racism happened. Both Cricket Australia and the ICC have condemned the incident and the matter is being investigated by Cricket Australia.

A report in The Hindu (The Evening Wrap, Sunday 10, January 2021) says, “On Day 4, play was halted for a few minutes after Indian team complained that few spectators allegedly used racial slur at Mohammed Siraj during the second session.

We have faced racism in Sydney earlier too. It needs to be dealt with iron fist,” off-spinner R. Ashwin told reporters at the post-day press conference.

Local media reported that six people were expelled from the ground by the security during the nearly 10-minute halt in the on-ground proceedings. Australian coach Justin Langer also condemned the unsavoury incident.”

Addressing the media, Team India bowler R Ashwin called for racial abuse to be dealt with strictly and spoke about how the team will approach the final day of the third Test. Video- BCCI

As the match was in progress Mohammed Siraj stopped the play and made a formal complaint to Umpire Paul Reiffel about some spectators in the bay behind his fielding position making racial slurs. What slurs were made is not known.

“The Indian team later on Saturday lodged an official complaint after the crowd at the SCG racially abused Bumrah and Siraj over the second and third day of the ongoing Pink Test. The crowd did not stop on day four of the ongoing Pink Test as Siraj along with India skipper Ajinkya Rahane had a word with umpire Paul Reiffel regarding the unruly behaviour of the crowd.
Visuals on television indicated that there were some words spoken for Siraj who was fielding near the boundary rope. Both the umpires then had a word with each other and the police then asked a group of men to leave the stand, ANI reports.

ErWkZpQUcAI2p4C
Source-@BCCI

ANI further reports: BCCI Treasurer Arun Singh Dhumal said on Sunday, “The BCCI has taken up the matter strongly with the concerned authority. BCCI Secretary, Jay Shah, spoke to Cricket Australia Chairman Earl Eddings and expressed his concern over the incidents and both agreed that action needs to be taken against the offenders to send out a strong message that racism and discrimination do not have a place in our great sport and in any walk of society,”

Earlier, BCCI secretary Jay Shah had informed, via Twitter, that Cricket Australia has ensured him of strict action against the offenders. “Racism has no place in our great sport or in any walk of society. I’ve spoken to CricketAus and they have ensured strict action against the offenders. BCCI and Cricket Australia stand together. These acts of discrimination will not be tolerated. @SGanguly99 @ThakurArunS,” Shah tweeted.”

Cricket Australia has reaffirmed its zero-tolerance policy towards discriminatory behaviour in all forms following the alleged racial abuse of members of the Indian cricket squad by a section of the crowd at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday.

Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity and Security, said anyone who sought to vilify and/or harass had no place in Australian cricket.

“Cricket Australia condemns in the strongest terms possible all discriminatory behaviour,” Carroll said. “If you engage in racist abuse, you are not welcome in Australian cricket.

“CA is awaiting the outcome of the International Cricket Council’s investigation into the matter reported at the SCG on Saturday. Once those responsible are identified, CA will take the strongest measures possible under our Anti-Harassment Code, including lengthy bans, further sanctions, and referral to NSW Police.

“As series hosts, we unreservedly apologize to our friends in the Indian cricket team and assure them we will prosecute the matter to its fullest extent.”

Kerrie Mather, Venues NSW’s Chief Executive, said CCTV footage was being reviewed to assist the ICC investigation.

“At the SCG, we pride ourselves on welcoming anyone and everyone in a safe and inclusive environment,” Mather said.

“We are taking this extremely seriously. If those involved are identified, they will be banned from the SCG and all Venues NSW properties under our Act.”

Blockbuster Australia-India men’s series to enthrall Cricket lovers

Australia-vs-India

By Neeraj Nanda

MELBOURNE, 29 October 2020: Diwali, Australia-India men’s series, Xmas, New Year eve and much more will enthrall in the post-COVID-19 scenario. India- Australia exciting Cricket, no doubt, has always been a blockbuster. The eagerly anticipated Vodafone Test series, Dettol ODI Series, and Dettol Twenty20 International Series between the Australian and Indian men’s teams schedule has been confirmed.

The battle for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy will begin with a day-night encounter at the Adelaide Oval on December 17, followed by Tests at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (December 26), the Sydney Cricket Ground (January 7), and the Gabba (January 15).

The Adelaide fixture will be the first day-night Test played between the Australian and Indian men’s teams, adding historic significance to a series between two of cricket’s greatest rivals.

Neither side has lost a day-night Test previously, with the Australian men’s team winning all four twilight Tests in Adelaide against New Zealand, South Africa, England, and Pakistan, and India winning its only encounter at Eden Gardens versus Bangladesh in 2019.

The Australian men’s team is currently ranked No. 1 on the International Cricket Council’s Test standings, however, India will be buoyed by the knowledge it has won three of the previous four series against Australia, including a first-ever series win on Australian soil in 2018-19.

The men’s international summer will commence with the three-match Dettol ODI Series at the Sydney Cricket Ground (November 27, 29) and Manuka Oval, Canberra (December 2). That will be followed by the three-match Dettol T20 International Series at Manuka Oval, Canberra (December 4) and the Sydney Cricket Ground (December 6, 8).

mcg16Jan2016
Photo- SAT

Both white ball series will be keenly contested. The Australian men’s team is fresh from an away ODI series win over world champions England, while India holds a slight edge over its rival in the 50-over format with a 12-10 win-loss record against Australia over the past five years.

The Australian men’s team is currently ranked No. 1 in the world in the ICC’s T20I rankings and posted a thrilling 2-0 away series win over India last year. India, however, holds a 5-4 win-loss advantage over Australia in its past ten T20I matches.

Nick Hockley, CA’s Interim Chief Executive Officer, thanked the Board of Control for Cricket in India for working constructively with Cricket Australia despite the challenging coronavirus pandemic.

“Across all three formats, Australia and India represents one of the great rivalries in world sport and we are delighted to welcome Virat Kohli’s outstanding squad to Australian shores this summer,” Hockley said.

“We have worked closely with the BCCI for many months to bring this tour to life, and I cannot speak more highly of the professional, thorough and collaborative manner with which they have approached this tour in these extraordinary and complex times.

“I would like to express my gratitude to everyone at the BCCI for the faith and support they have shown in the plan we have developed, which we believe will result in a safe and successful summer for all involved.

“We would also like to especially thank the NSW Government for allowing players from both teams to safely prepare during quarantine, as well as other governments and health authorities who have worked with us to host a series which, I have no doubt, will live long in the memories of all who experience it.

“I would also like to thank everyone across Australian cricket and our valued partners for working tirelessly to navigate through the challenges to deliver a schedule that will bring joy and excitement to hundreds of millions of fans at home and abroad.

“The safety of the Australian community and all participants is our highest priority and we will continue to work with governments across Australia to ensure the schedule proceeds in line with relevant directions and biosecurity protocols. In relation to the Boxing Day Test at the MCG, we are working with the Victorian Government and the Melbourne Cricket Club on plans to safely host spectators at the iconic event with details to be confirmed in due course.”

NSW Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism, and Western Sydney, Stuart Ayres said: “The NSW Government is pleased to support Cricket Australia and ensure that Australians get to see a Summer of cricket.”

NSW Acting Minister for Sport, Geoff Lee said: “We can’t wait to host one of the world’s best teams for a terrific summer of cricket with the SCG ready to host the third test in January. NSW loves its cricket and we are so pleased we could work hand in hand with Cricket Australia to make this series happen.”

In addition to the international fixtures, CA can also confirm dates for tour matches ahead of the Vodafone Test series. India A will take on Australia A at Drummoyne Oval (December 6-8), and India will play Australia A in a day-night match at the Sydney Cricket Ground (December 11-13).

India’s squad will arrive in Sydney on November 12 subject to Australian Border Force travel authorization and the appropriate departure-approvals. The team will quarantine in Sydney prior to the first match of the series on November 27.

Dettol ODI Series v India                                                                                                          

First ODI: Friday, November 27 – Sydney Cricket Ground (Day-Night)

Second ODI: Sunday, November 29 – Sydney Cricket Ground (Day-Night)

Third ODI: Wednesday, December 2 – Manuka Oval, Canberra (Day-Night)

Dettol T20 INTL Series v India

First T20: Friday, December 4 – Manuka Oval, Canberra (Night)

Second T20: Sunday, December 6 – Sydney Cricket Ground (Night)

Third T20: Tuesday, December 8 – Sydney Cricket Ground (Night)

Vodafone Test Series v India

First Test: December 17-21 – Adelaide Oval (Day-Night)

Second Test: December 26-30 – Melbourne Cricket Ground

Third Test: January 7-11 – Sydney Cricket Ground

Fourth Test: January 15-19 – The Gabba, Brisbane

Team India’s T20I, ODI and Test squads for Tour of Australia

The All-India Senior Selection Committee met via video-conference on 26 October 2020 to select the Indian Cricket Team for the upcoming Tour of Australia. Team India will take part in three T20Is, three ODIs, and four Test matches against Australia.

Team India T20I squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Mayank Agarwal, KL Rahul (vice-captain and wicket-keeper), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Sanju Samson (wicket-keeper), Ravindra Jadeja, Washington Sundar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Navdeep Saini, Deepak Chahar, Varun Chakravarthy

Team India ODI squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Shubman Gill, KL Rahul (vice-captain & wicket-keeper), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Mayank Agarwal, Ravindra Jadeja, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Navdeep Saini, Shardul Thakur

Team India Test squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Mayank Agarwal, Prithvi Shaw, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Shubman Gill, Wriddhiman Saha (wicket-keeper), Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Umesh Yadav, Navdeep Saini, Kuldeep Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, R. Ashwin, Mohd. Siraj

Four additional bowlers – Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Kartik Tyagi, Ishan Porel and T. Natarajan – will travel with the Indian contingent.

The BCCI Medical Team will continue to monitor the progress of Rohit Sharma and Ishant Sharma, says the BCCI at its site.

*The matches and travel remain subject to any relevant government restrictions or requirements.